Sunday, February 3, 2013

Alec Makes it to Monteverde

Truthfully I made it here on Thursday. My trip was much less eventful than Shannon's except for the very bumpy takeoff from Boston in 50mph winds. People on the plane were screaming aloud in fear. Nonetheless, I made it safely to Monteverde by evening time. The man sitting next to me even let me share his ear phones while we watched a very violent movie on his laptop (Taken 2...not recommended).

On Friday Shannon had arranged a birthday party for me with cake and lots of new friends. We got the rise up singings out and sang songs for a few hours, then I promptly fell sick for the next day and a half (I think something was brewing before I left).

Thus, my experience in Monteverde has so far mostly consisted of the inside of our bedroom. Today I got out, and there is lots to share about our adventures. We went to Quaker meeting (not so adventurous), climbed a giant strangler fig tree, played music with new friends, and went to the Bel Mar hotel juice bar, where we met the manager. Our exchange with him was the following:
Pedro: "Hello I am Pedro."
Alec: "Hi I am Alec."
Shannon: "Hi I am Shannon."
Pedro: "Where are you from?"
A & S: "Vermont."
Pedro: "And you play the fiddle?"
Alec: "um, yes"
Pedro: "Yes, I have heard of you."

...apparently Pedro knows some of our friends from Montreal (he went to the University of Montreal), and was previously alerted to our comings and goings. We were startled, but we got some free juice out of the whole experience so it worked out well (for us).

Here are some pictures, lots more to come from the green mountain!
Shannon pretending to work on the Timberframe

Looking down out of the mountains into the Pacific
Shannon climbing up the inside of a gigundo strangler fig tree

Fig tree in profile...looks remarkably like an ent in full stride

Shannon chillin with the strangler fig tree (don't worry, it moves very slowly).

No comments:

Post a Comment